Friday 17 October 2014

Tough Love

 

To some people music is just background noise, something they can flick between and barely take notice of. For me music is so much more, it runs in my veins and has the power to set me alight, change my mood in an instant and provoke a reaction that can bring me to tears.
It sounds so corny to say, but music is my medicine. If I'm in a bad mood I have songs that I know will lift me out of it in an instant, tunes that get me motivated or sounds that just help to reflect and get some perspective.

There is one artist whose music is so emotive to me more that any other. Jessie Ware's debut album Devotion came out at a time when I was coming to terms with some pretty big miles stones in my life. It marked the beginning of the end of a time of turmoil and the lyrics of her songs seemed to say the words that I just couldn't say myself.

I'm not very good at expressing myself, and for someone that has a blogs and tweets five hundred times a day I'm quite private and not great at sharing my feelings. That album somehow got out all my pent up feelings and allowed me to feel myself again. The year that followed it was the best of my life, filled with amazing adventures shared with great friends.

This evening Jessie Ware's new album 'Tough Love' was released. Of course I love it, Jessie can do no wrong in my eyes. I've had this on none stop all week, the songs are full of soul and emotion, it's a pleasure to listen to.  Tough Love might not have as much significance in my life as Devotion did but I'm certain it's an album I'll still be playing in years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment